22 January 2010
Just before 2010 started, there were some things I listed down in a list of things I want to do more of this year. Two of these things are: blogging and watching movies. I want my blog to become as active as it was before. Okay, okay, so maybe not as active, but, at least, more active than it currently is. And, I want to add movie-watching to my hobbies because I believe that I sometimes need some distraction from reality.
2010 will be my 7th year of blogging and so much have changed since I started. There is so much more to write and share about. Thing is, I just don't have as much time to write as I used to. And, I remember that when I was still very active in blogging, my mind would always be in blog-mode. This means that whenever I see or experience or hear about something interesting, I'd automatically think of writing about it and describing it in my blog. Nowadays, though, I just don't really have that anymore. And, I don't exactly want that, I just want to blog more.
Now, watching movies? Well, I've never been the movie buff. I do like to watch movies, but I can survive without them. If I don't get to watch movies for a whole year, I can live with that. Also, I used to be really choosy with movies I watch so there were just a handful of movies I was interested to watch. In short, I'm not exactly a movie fan. People who know me know this about me. I think I only got to watch a lot of movies when I lived in Manila because, well, movie houses were so near and most of my friends love movies. That was, I think, the time that I started to really like watching movies. And, I began to be a little less choosy and learned to appreciate all kinds of movies. But, then again, when I came back home (to MSU) almost four years ago, I started to spend less and less time watching movies.
I'm not saying that I haven't seen a lot of movies because I have. I think I have. Especially non-English foreign films. But, compared to most of my friends, I guess I'll have to say I've seen very few movies in my life. I remember back in 5th Grade, we were assigned to list down on index cards the movies that we've seen and while some classmates of mine already had 10 index cards or more, I only had 2 or 3. Hehe:) I'd like to make that list a little longer, I guess. True, I've never really felt the need to watch more movies, but, I don't know, there's been a lot of conversations about movies going on around me these days so I guess I'm taking that as a sign.
So, this year, I've decided to do more movie-watching. It's a nice way to unwind and de-stress. And also, it helps me a lot in relating with my students. Sometimes, I talk about a certain literary device or concept and I'd need to use some movies as examples to make my students really get the idea. Whether I like it or not, they know movies more than books. While explaining movies, I can make them see how great books are, too, since most great movies are based on books. And, these past days, I've come across some famous titles that have sparked my interest. Hence, I'm ready to embark on a love affair with movies. I sure hope this affair lasts long and proves to be as exciting and interesting as I think it is.
For movie buffs out there, any movie you'd want me to check out? Thanks! :)
10 January 2010
My first entry for 2010!
I actually wanted to write an entry about the year that just passed, but it was just a tad too difficult for me. So, when I chanced upon Kars' Year-End Report, I felt that it was the perfect way for me to be able to write about 2009.
Thank you, sis! :)
2009 Year-End Report
What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
-Handled a Major class, fish massage and got Mehndi (henna tattoo). Those are the only things that come to mind right now.
Did you keep your New Years’ Resolutions, and will you make more for 2010?
-Uhm, I don't do New Year's Resolutions. I believe in Daily Resolutions.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
-Yes, many of my cousins gave birth in 2009, and 2 of my closest friends, too.
Did anyone close to you die?
-My dad. And, that makes 2009 one of the worst years, if not the worst, of my life! Also, one of my favorite and closest uncles passed away last year.
What countries did you visit?
What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
-Savings! A lot of savings! Hehe:)
What date/s from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
-Agust 10. The day my dad passed away; a huge part of me died that day, too.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Being part of the 2009 Young Asian Muslim Women Leadership Training and Workshop as the lone participant from the Philippines.
What was your biggest failure?
- Not being able to be by my dad's side when the final moment came.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
- Nah! Just the usual fever, colds and cough.
What was the best thing you bought?
- Olivia (my Pink Sony Cybershot T90 digicam) and Arianna (my HP Mini 110 Pink Chic Notebook)
Whose behavior merited celebration?
- My mom's. For being so brave and sooo strong.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- The perpetrators of the Maguindanao massacre. And, Joseph "Erap" Estrada.
Where did most of your money go?
- My new babies and travel. My shades (eye wear) collection.
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- My Thailand trip, I guess.
What song(s) will always remind you of 2009?
- Dance with My Father
Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
- Sadder, but hopeful for a better year.
ii. thinner or fatter?
– Fatter. When I'm depressed, I eat. And, 2009 was a depressing year for me. My mom's brother passed away on the 2nd day of the year, we found out that my dad was sick in April; a tragic thing involving some members of my family happened in May; my dad passed away in August. And, up until this very moment, I'm still trying to cope with the loss and the depression, thus, I still eat. A lot!
iii. richer or poorer?
What do you wish you’d done more?
- Spend time at my dad's side. Read and write more.
What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Feeling depressed.
How many one-night stands?
What was your favorite TV program?
- I didn't really get to watch a lot of TV. But, I watched DVDs of The L Word (complete) and Seasons 5 and 6 of Grey's Anatomy. Both are my favorite.
Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- Oh, yes!
What was/were the best book/s you read?
- Most of the books I read last year were re-reads. Whenever I'm down, I feel more relieved and relaxed when I go and tread familiar ground. The ones I will list down are books I read for the first time in 2009. Here they are:
1. A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)
2. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
3. My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult)
What was your greatest musical discovery?
- Orianthi. The bad-ass female guitarist!
What did you want and get?
- My new babies, i.e. my digicam and my notebook.
What was your favorite film of this year?
- I can't think of any. Well, I haven't really watched a lot of films last year so...
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- I turned 29. I honestly can't remember what I did.
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- Right now, I don't know because every time I go back to the year 2009, all I can think of, all I can remember is when my dad passed away.
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
- My usual.
What kept you sane?
- Faith and trust in Allah. My family, especially my mom. And, some friends.
What political issue stirred you the most?
- The Maguindanao massacre!
Who did you miss?
My dad. I missed him every single day since that day in June when they had to leave for Manila and I couldn't go because I had work. I still miss him everyday. And, I always will.
Who was/were the best new person/s you met?
- My YAMWLTW sisters.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
- Life is short. Seize every opportunity that comes your way. Do good.
What was the nicest thing someone told you about yourself.
- I love you.
The most touching experience you’ve had this year?
- How the whole family and all our friends got together to comfort us and help us pull through.
What did you like most about yourself this year?
- I guess I was strong. Very difficult, but I pulled through.
What did you hate most about yourself this year?
- Being affected by some things I shouldn't even bother thinking about.
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
- All the lines in Dance with My Father.
Was 2009 a good year for you?
- Not really.
What was your favorite moment of the year?
- The moments I was with my dad.
What was your least favorite moment of the year?
- If you've been reading this survey since its start, you'd know my answer to this question.
Where were you when 2009 began?
- In Iligan, at my aunt's house. We got together to welcome the New Year. There were games and gifts. It was actually one of the best New Year celebrations I've ever had in my life. I never expected that the year was going to be my saddest.
Who were you with?
- The whole family. Macarambon side.
Do you have a new year’s resolution for 2010?
- No, I don't.
What was your favorite month of 2009?
- My birth month, I guess. And, November.
How many concerts did you see in 2009?
Did you drink a lot of alchohol in 2009?
- I don't drink anything with alcohol.
Do a lot of drugs in 2009?
How much money did you spend in 2009?
- I lost count. Hehe:)
What was your proudest moment of 2009?
- When I got accepted to the 2009 Young Asian Muslim Women Leadership Training and Workshop.
What was your most embarrassing moment of 2009?
- I don't remember being embarrassed enough to mind it in 2009.
If you could go back in time to any moment of 2009 and change something, what would it be?
- I'd go back to June and file a leave of absence so that I could go with my mom and brother when they took my dad to Manila for his medications and I'd stay by my dad's side until the very last moment.
What are your plans for 2010?
- Save. Travel more. Save more.
How are you different now that the year has ended?
- With my dad gone, I feel like a whole different person.
What are your wishes for the new year?
- Good health, peace, contentment, love and happiness for me and every person I love and care about. And, more money! Hehe:)