The Holy Month of Ramadhan...


Sahro Ramadhan Al-Mubaarak (the Blessed Month of Ramadhan) is, as everyone knows, the most important month in the Islamic calendar. It is my favorite time of the year. It is when I am at my best. Yes, my best because during this month, I would always have such a nice and happy disposition. The Ramadhan spirit would always make me feel like nothing in the world could really bother or irritate me. Sure, I still lose my temper at times, but it's never as bad as I usually do at other times of the year. Not a single good deed and beautiful thing go without my being thankful for them even if these deeds are not directed to me and these things not for me. I just can't expalin it, but Ramadhan gives me peace of mind and makes me feel like I am at peace with everything and everyone in the world. It feels great.

During this very special month, Muslims fast, i.e. abstain from taking in any kind of (solid) food, liquid whatsoever the whole time the sun is up- roughly from 4:30 in the morning to 5:45 in the evening (that's in the Philippines because sunset differs from one country to another, in some countries sunset may be as early as 4:00 in the afternoon and as late as about 8:00 in the evening in others). It is not only food and liquid in-take that we abstain from. Smoking, thinking bad and dark thoughts about anything or anyone, speaking bad words/speech to and about anything or anyone, gambling, sexual intercourse (this is why newly-weds may be exempted from fasting), telling lies are also not allowed or may break one's fasting. Not even the intentional smelling/sniffing of things with strong odor and/or food is allowed. I say "intentional" because there are times that one's in a situation where s/he can't help but take in all the smell around, like when one passes by a food store or a restaurant. But, when one is in such a situation, s/he should immediately leave so as to avoid taking in the smell. It is not only a person's mouth that fasts, but his/her whole system, his/her whole being.

Ramadhan is a month of discipline and training. It trains Muslims to be as disciplined as disciplined could be. It trains Muslims to be as honest as honest could be. And, it trains Muslims to be as devout as devout could be. A Muslim, when fasting, will never cheat about his/her fasting. We could easily break our fasting if we wanted to, especially when nobody is watching. But, this thought will never occur to a Muslim while fasting. Besides, God is always watching.

"Why do you fast," a non-Muslim friend of mine asked me once, "what's the purpose?"

From what I learned from the madrasah (Islamic school) and the wasi'at/khaatib (sermons), aside from developing a person's self-discipline and devotion to God, the purpose of fasting is also to make us feel how the poor or the underprivileged feel when they cannot eat because they have nothing to eat. This way, when we see poor or underprivileged people, it wouldn't be difficult to extend help and support because we have felt how difficult it is not to be able to eat. It becomes natural for a good Muslim to help others out because of this. Before the month ends, each Muslim is obligated to give an amount (depends on how much one earns) to the poor. This is called the 'sadaqatul fitr'. During this month too, all good deeds and words will be rewarded twice as much. And, all bad deeds and words will be taken against a person twice as much. Even a good intention or thought will be rewarded twice as much. Prayers, as well. These are some teachings on Ramadhan.

Probably on the 12th or the 13th, it depends on the sighting of the new moon (the Philippine government has declared the 15th as the national holiday, though), Ramadhan will end and we will celebrate the Eid ul-Fitr, one of the two most important days in the Islamic calendar. We will be celebrating, with family and friends, because we have had another Ramadhan pass in our lives. But, with the celebration also comes a sadness- sadness for the end of the Holy Month. Although we can fast in other times of the year and we can do everything we do during Ramadhan anytime of the year, no other month is like Ramadhan. No other month is comparable to Ramadhan because during this whole month, you just feel the magic.

As most ulamah (Islamic scholars) say, Ramadhan is the best teacher. We are supposed to learn so much from it. And, yes, I agree because Ramadhan leaves such a great impact in my life every single time it passes. Ramadhan always leaves a mark in my life. If I could REALLY take every single lesson that Ramadhan teaches, I would be a person less prouder, more understanding, less irritable, more reasonable. If I could make myself the way I am during Ramadhan the whole year round, that would absolutely make the world one problem short. And again, I believe this will really happen... step by step. And, one day, I just might pull it. Insha-Allah (God willing). :)


Comments

BabyPink said…
salamat, kapatid...:) salamat din.:)

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Voice from Marawi

People don't know that...

Ramadhan Kareem...

Pamamaalam at Pasasalamat sa Apo...

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals and Me