New year, new president...


I have blogged about MSU a lot and everyone who's been reading my blog for some time knows how much I love MSU. Like I've said before, MSU is more than just a place for me, it's more than a home, it's actually a state of being. MSU, for me, means happiness and peace of mind.

A few days before we left Manila two weeks ago, we found out that Pres. Arroyo had appointed a new MSU President. It came as a shock because we didn't expect that the present Acting President would be replaced that soon. The acting president, Dr. Ricardo de Leon, assumed the position exactly 2 years and 4 months ago.

Coming from the Philippine National Police, Dr. de Leon was met with different reactions by the MSU constituents when he first came to MSU. He was a stranger, an outsider. I, for one, couldn't imagine having a military man (a PMA-er) as president of an academic institution. I even blogged about it then. I was anxious, at that time, because I thought he was really wrong for the job. What would an outsider know about MSU? He didn't even know the culture of the place. I was Manila-based then, but I thought that if I were in MSU, I'd have joined those rallies that expressed resistance to the stranger's assumption of leadership.

Fast forward to when I came home, applied and got accepted for a teaching post in my home department. As part of one of the most active departments in the university, my job didn't confine me to the four corners of the classroom. We had so much to do, especially with all the changes going on in the campus. Changes brought about by Dr. de Leon. After just a few weeks or maybe a month in my job and having had the chance to work with him, I realized how wrong I was in thinking that Dr. de Leon was wrong for MSU Presidency. He proved to be more than fit for the job. He had the political will that an MSU President needed. He had the sensitivity and compassion to be part of the "alien" culture he suddenly found himself in. He fell in love with MSU and the culture. From new buildings to renovation of old ones, new pathways and parks to new rules and regulations, he brought about so many positive changes in the university. He made MSU so much better.

And, now, I can and will unabashedly say that he's one of the best, if not the best, presidents MSU has ever had. It's actually ironic that it took an outsider to wake so many MSUans from the slumber that they've been in all these years. He rekindled the fire in MSUan hearts.

It saddens the whole university that he's about to leave. Well, he was merely an Acting President so sooner or later he would have to leave, but it's hard to let go of someone who's been that good to and for the university. The past week was witness to the outpouring of emotions from students, faculty and staff of MSU as, left and right, tributes and farewell parties were given in his honor. Like they always say, parting is such sweet sorrow. But, like he said when he thanked our college during our tribute for him, "This is not good bye. I'll just say, 'til we meet again!"

And, we'll wait for that, Sir. 'Til we meet again. Thank you for everything! :)

---


On Monday, the official turn-over will take place. Our new president, Dr. Macapado Muslim, will officially assume office. I hear he's also very good and very competent. De Leon's would definitely be one tough act to follow, but I believe that with everybody's cooperation, the new president can and will also do and achieve a lot. We have to support him. That's important.

I don't really know him that well, but I want to believe in him. I am, after all, not for any president. I am for MSU! Whatever or whoever is best for MSU, I am in full support of! And, Insha-Allah, the new president will help us move forward further!

Cheers for MSU! :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is a cliche.."Why does hello means goodbye?"

i hope that what Dr de Leon instilled will remain in the hearts of the MSU people...
BabyPink said…
i hope so, too, miss bing. thanks! :)
No Milk Please said…
good luck on your new president and hopefully he does well :)
Anonymous said…
hello, i actually read the news on the paper and was waiting for your reaction. hehehe. good to hear that from you.

regards,
kars
BabyPink said…
thanks, paul! i really do hope he does well, for MSU! :)

kars!!! sis, bakit hindi ko na mabuksan ang blog mo? ano na ba ang url mo?
Anonymous said…
hello babypink,

i'm here: http://vbless.wordpress.com.

pasensiya na cge ko balhin-balhin. hehehe. =)
BabyPink said…
ok. thanks, sis! bisita ko soon. :)
Anonymous said…
Daddy Dee (as we call him) brought us a lot of lessons, particularly among Meranaos. hope we learned our lesson. cheers to MSU! =)

Dr. Moslem is a Bati, right?
Atty. H said…
mam i love your blog. i'm inspired by great writers like you. =)

-hevah salic
BabyPink said…
ai, true, true. but, it seems that some people just don't learn. hay. btw, yes, he is a bati. :)

hevs, thanks for the vote of confidence! keep writing! :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Voice from Marawi

People don't know that...

Ramadhan Kareem...

Pamamaalam at Pasasalamat sa Apo...

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals and Me