Nihon Monogatari continued...


The 2004 Pan Pacific Youth Exchange Program (PPYEP) officially ended on the 12th of October. The 12-day program was really much, much more fun, more interesting, and greater than I expected it to be. It was like a continuation or an extension of SSEAYP. The difference was that there wasn't a Nippon Maru and there was an Australian contingent (very white people among brown ones). And, there were only 32 of us, all in all, from the seven countries and then, of course, the Japanese counterparts. As a result, we were all really bonded and very close. That's very nice, but that also made the parting very, very sad and difficult for most of us. Hay!

Anyway, since I've started talking about the experience in a day-to-day basis, I'd like to continue doing so. "It's really funny to look back after all these years..." So, the song goes and I really hope to look back on these days for years and years with that funny, dreamy smile on my face.


**********

5th day...

This day was very, very interesting. We went to the Kitayamamoto Elementary School, a public school. I've always, always wanted to see how a Japanese elementary or junior high school looks like because that's where the kids get their training in every aspect of life. And, I've always wanted to see how the kids dress because I find Japanese fashion very interesting. In the school, the kids were just adorable. They didn't speak any English, but we played with them and they taught us traditional dances. We performed for them and they did the same for us. We ate lunch with them. The day was full of smiles, laughter and fun. Seeing that school made me realize how lucky the Japanese chidren are. I mean, it's a public school and all, but if it were in the Philippines, with how the school looked like and the facilities, it would have been one of the best private schools in the country. Kuya Erick and I got emotional and almost cried as we walked around and saw how nice the school was. He thought of the elementary school he owns and I couldn't help but think of the public schools we have, especially in Mindanao, where kids don't even have chairs or books.

After we left the school, we went straight to Kyoto and checked in at the Rakucho Hotel, a Japanese-style hotel. The rooms had tatami and we had futons for beds. We had to wear yukata and they served us Japanese tea as we got in our rooms. We (three Filipino girls) were assigned with the two Malaysian girls. Later on, we invited Crystal to sleep with us because they were seven in their own room. Everything in the hotel was very, very Japanese. It was one of my favorite parts of the program. We had a yukata dinner party where we had the best Japanese food. The hotel served only Japanese food, by the way, much to my delight! The next morning we had yet another very Japanese breakfast. :)


6th day...

This day, we had an experience of Japanese Yuzen T-Shirt Dyeing at the Kyoto International Exhibition Hall. Yuzen Dyeing is one way to dye cloths for the Kimono. After that, we went to the Kyoto Handicraft Museum and to the Japanese Traditional Goods shops where we could buy some little things. And then, after dinner, we went and checked in at another hotel, the Shin-Osaka Esaka Tokyu Inn. We got there pretty early, so we had a lot of free time. We went up the Kyoto Tower, which afforded us a marvelous view! Wow! :)


7th day...

We had to wake up earlier than usual this day because we were to go back to Osaka to visit the Matsushita Electric Industrial Company (makers of Panasonic and National). They showed us so many things, from their very first products to their newest, most recent ones (some haven't even come out in the market yet). The whole time, we were just 'ooh-ing' and 'aah-ing' because of all the advance technology that they have. Everything was amazing! In the afternoon, we went to the Kantere (Kansai Television). They showed us how effects (simple ones) were done. They made us take shots of one another in the news room and we watched a sort of a rehearsal for one of their shows which was celebrating its 40th anniversary. The assistant director for this show was sooo cute that I wanted to just go and kiss him. It was too bad that we weren't allowed to take pictures inside the studio! The day was exhausting because we had a lot of walking to do, but our awe and amazement at all the things shown to us got the better of us.


8th day...

On this day, we went to the Youth Outdoor Activities Center of Osaka Prefecture where we played lots of team building games. It was so much fun, but at one point, I got pissed off at someone who was too serious in the game and acted as the leader and started to scold people in our group. He shut up after I gave him a piece of my mind! Moreover, there was a typhoon coming, so it was really cold in the place. We had to stay indoors. The interpreter for this center was really cute. Hehehe:) But, I didn't like him much anymore after he banged his really heavy hand on my back (it was supposed to be a pat, I think) and asked me if I was okay! I almost threw up because of the impact! I said I was okay and almost added, "until you decided to 'pat' me on the back!" But, he was really, really cute! :)

In the afternoon, we (Filipinos and Australians) were dropped off at the Mihara town where we were to have our homestay. The other contingents were assigned to homestay in other towns in Osaka. Mihara town was so nice, very suburban. The Mihara people were just the loveliest people. They were all very nice and friendly... and super warm. I felt so lucky to have been assigned there. My homestay in Mihara was the one of the best homestays I've had in my whole life.


I'd like to end this entry here and continue (talk) about my homestay(s) in my next entry. I am currently in Kawasaki, homestaying at a SSEAYP batchmate's place and I'll be going to Tokyo to homestay at another batchmate's place tomorrow, so I need to sleep right now. Ja, oyasumi nasai... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Voice from Marawi

People don't know that...

Ramadhan Kareem...

Pamamaalam at Pasasalamat sa Apo...

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals and Me