I'm in love...


I've been here in Osaka for five nights (and four days) now. It has been a very, very interesting and enjoyable time for everyone in the program. After all the activities that we've done so far, we're all quite exhausted, but it's just so much fun that we don't mind at all. We still have eight days more to go before the program ends.

Tomorrow, we leave for Kyoto to experience Japanese style hotel. I'm really excited about that. Here in Osaka, we're housed at the Kansai International Center (a dormitory-like hostel). Aside from the fact that everything is free here, what I like most about this place is my room. As expected of a Japanese facility, our rooms are fully furnished (TV, heater, refrigerator, VCR player, CD/cassette player, and comfort/shower room). Doing laundry is very convenient, too, because there are 24-hour laundry rooms on every floor. There's a music lounge (with musical instruments and karaoke) for the bored. There's a fitness center/gym for the health and fitness buffs! There's an internet room for Net addicts like me. Anyway, my room is on the 11th floor. All the rooms have really big windows that afford us a magnificent view of a large part of Kansai City. Sitting by my window and looking out has become my favorite relaxation activity. Oh, and cycling around the place alone. :)


1st day...

Our schedule for the past four days was really hectic and, well, we all know how the Japanese are when we talk about time. As soon as we arrived, there was an orientation and briefing. It was great to see some familiar SSEAYP faces. Crystal (a friend and SSEAYP batchmate from Singapore) has said, "it's sort of a homecoming for us." About 75% of us are alumni of SSEAYP. It's truly a homecoming for us, I think, also because Japan is the home of SSEAYP. I really appreciate Japan's efforts for their youth, as well as the youth of other countries.


2nd day...

On the second day, we went to the Osaka Youth Marine Center. We saw lots of young people (from elementary to tertiary levels) enjoying this facility. We got to interact with them a little. I was so thankful I studied Nihongo. On that day, we went rowing, single-hand yachting and kayaking the whole day. Everything was so interesting for me because it was my first time to try these things. It was a really exhausting day, but it was completely all right with everyone. Everything about the activities spelled F-U-N!!!


3rd day...

The next day, in the morning, we attended the International Youth Forum where every contingent was given a chance to present what is gained from international exchange programs (like the Pan-Pac) and how we could all help our nations and the world and how we could share whatever it is that we gain from these exchanges to our people. In the afternoon, we went to a really nice park and had a cook-out. In this activity, every contingent was asked to prepare or cook two or more native delicacies so that (almost) everyone could get a taste of the different countries' food/specialties. We, Filipinos, prepared chicken adobo and sinigang na hipon. We also had sweets from all over the Philippines. We were so proud of the food we prepared because everyone liked them. Ours was one of the few that got finished almost as soon as the eating started. It was really fun going from one contingent to another and trying all kinds of food and partying, of course.


4th day...

Yesterday, we had our courtesy calls to the most important agencies in the Osaka prefecture. We had lunch inside the Osaka Castle compound. The Osaka Castle was a sight to behold. And, the food was just great! We also went to the Osaka Commemorative Expo '70 Park, where there was this really beautiful and big Japanese Garden. There, we had 'tea ceremony'. In the evening, we had the Welcome Party, where each contingent was made to perform a number. It was quite informal so we weren't that pressured about the performances that we gave. We were, in fact, free to join other contingents when they performed. I, of course, joined the Japanese because they performed SMAP's "Sekai Ni Hitotsu Dake No Hana" (my current favorite Japanese song).:) I just have to mention that the sushi they served at the party were the best ones I've had in my whole life!


There's also this very funny observation that I had. Being so used to Asian English (especially Japanese English, I've been talking to a lot of them in my part-time job and I have many, many Japanese friends) and American English (on TV and in movies), at first, I had such a hard time understanding the Australian delegates. The others would have such a hard time understanding the Japanese, but in my case, I could understand them perfectly well. And also, because we are around so many delegates with quite similar accents (Malaysians, Bruneians, and Singaporeans), my accent has been affected. I don't sound very Filipino anymore. This happened to me in SSEAYP as well. That's why most people would always mistake me for a Malaysian. This phenomenon (called 'assimilation') is very interesting, if not funny, and very useful to an English language major like me because the study of the variations/varieties of English is one of the most important fields in our course. This is all very, very interesting! This program is (will be) a great venue for me to think about my studies and, probably, start thinking about my thesis topic! Hehehe:)

So, basically, that's how my days in Japan have been so far. One very important thing that I realized is that I like Osaka a lot better than Tokyo or any other place in Japan I've ever been to (I've only been to Tokyo, Okinawa and Chiba, by the way). The place is just so inviting because the people are sooo friendly and warm. Life is more laid back compared to Tokyo life. And, well, Tokyo is really crowded and all. Things are cheaper here, too. If I were to choose a place in Japan where I want to live in, I'd definitely choose Osaka! I've fallen in love with the place... Japan, for me, comes second only to my dear MSU! And now, Osaka, is my "first love" in Japan! :)


Comments

BabyPink said…
punta ka na, chocolate.:)

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Voice from Marawi

People don't know that...

Ramadhan Kareem...

Pamamaalam at Pasasalamat sa Apo...

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals and Me