The Alchemist in Me: A Journey Within


One broken dream is not the end of dreaming.

This very meaningful sentence I, so long ago, learned from my mother, has always been my motto and, I say, has brought me far and wide. It's never failed to bring out my best qualities and strengthen my determination so as to make me strive for the achievement of whatever it is that I dream of. Despite any obstacle, I would always hold fast to my dream – my Personal Legend.

A book, so beautifully written, has fueled back to life that fire in my heart; a book that talks about the nature of life, nature of the world, and, of course, of man and his dream or quest in life. The book, that turned my life around and is one of my most favorite books of all time, was written by a Brazilian writer, Paulo Coelho. It is very aptly entitled “The Alchemist” for it truly brings out the alchemist in every reader.

At a time of utter confusion about what to do with my life, I stumbled upon the book. A very good friend of mine was telling me how good it was, and having nothing to do at the time or maybe I was just too bored and down-trodden to be doing anything, I said to myself, “Hey, why not read this book and see for yourself if it is any good?” I never expected the impact that little book, that I almost missed, had in me. I didn't know I was holding in my hands a precious treasure that would help me find myself again. The book showed me what my life was all about and basically taught me how to go about my life.

With every turn of a page, I saw myself as the character, Santiago. Every page made me introspect and think. I just could not help but agree and, thus, I saw things- everything, big or small, important or not- clearly. I was automatically enveloped in the book’s wisdom. It took me with Santiago to a wonderful journey, not only to great places, but within my very own heart, my very own soul.

Surprisingly, the book’s simplicity shows the complex blending of many a philosophy. This great marriage of different ideas achieves its purpose in that every reader would surely see the very things that s/he believes in and holds sacred in his/her heart. Be the reader a Muslim, a Christian, a Taoist, a Buddhist, a Shinto, an Oriental, a Westerner, rich, poor, old, young, man, woman or whatever, s/he will surely be able to relate to the young Santiago or the great alchemist.

The author’s concepts of the Soul of the World and the Language of the World show the oneness of all beings. These things are what hold us all together and are very important in all our lives. These are what keep us all alive. There is, of course, the One Hand that designs and writes everything. This shows the Glory of THE GOD – our one God. The depiction of His Greatness brought me to tears. At a time as ours, it is truly heart-warming to actually read something so firm and strong in its faith and belief in God.

The book gave me the feeling of security that whoever I am, whatever I am, I am part of the macrocosm of the universe. I am the same as other people. I am as great as others. What I like most about the book is its focus on the idea of achieving one’s Personal Legend. This Personal Legend is every creature’s or being’s ultimate goal in life or purpose of existence – one’s dream. It is man’s desire to be better than what he is; it is man’s desire to be the best.

As a Muslim, I see this as my Personal Jihad (Primary Jihad in Islam, actually, is a person’s war against the evil within, that is the person’s struggle to be good, better and the best of what s/he is). Before I encountered the book, I was in doubt whether I could actually face what was before me. As any other young person, I was feeling nervous and anxious about all the challenges that await me. I knew and felt I wanted to make it big. But, how? I had no idea. I was afraid to end up a failure. But, “The Alchemist” showed me that I would never fail so long as I believe and so long as I try. I just have to listen and talk to my heart. I just have to accept that being one with the universe, as part of the Soul of the World, I have only to do my part and all will be done and will be well in the end.

With all these new tools that “The Alchemist” has given me, I know I am ready and am bound for success. Life is about dreams- believing and doing one’s best to achieve these dreams. These dreams have been ordained to each one of us by God’s very own Hands. “When a person really desires something, the universe conspires to help the person realize his dreams.”

The book made me understand the true meaning of life. It has given me the confidence, courage and the idealism that I thought I completely lost. “The Alchemist” has given me THE reason to go on. And, as I know that God is always with me, as long as “The Alchemist” remains in my heart, I will go on and I shall make it big. Insha-Allah (God willing).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Voice from Marawi

People don't know that...

Ramadhan Kareem...

Pamamaalam at Pasasalamat sa Apo...

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals and Me