My very first attempt at Meranao Poetry...


I don't really have a New Year entry and I'll be too depressed if I write about what has been happening in the world, so I'm just going to share something about one of my favorite things in the world, the MERANAO (also spelled 'Maranao' or 'Maranaw') language!

I love the Meranao language. It's like music to my ears when I hear or listen to people speaking it. The way the sounds roll from the mouth is just beautiful. Sometimes, when I speak it with family and friends, I just can't help but be thankful I was born Meranao, hence it's but natural for me to know the language. Other people may find the language funny sounding (like a friend of mine who teases me endlessly when I try to teach her, she says I make up the words) and all. But to me, the Meranao language is the most beautiful, the best-sounding language in the whole world! And also, the Meranao language is my identity, my culture. It is me!

It really saddens me how the younger Meranaos of today are slowly 'forgetting' the language. Because of the frequent use of English and/or Tagalog, not one Meranao teenager or twenteener I know can speak pure, unadulterated and/or straight Meranao. Not even myself! I try my best to speak straight Meranao when I do speak Meranao. It's just a little difficult, though. Had I my way, I would never allow our people to forget the language. Oh no, not if I can help it!

To show but a sample of the beauty of MY language, here is my first ever attempt at Meranao poetry. Uhm, the poem is not really good, but it's worth a try.


Seka Oto a Kawawatanan

Sii sangkai a kagagawii a matengaao
'Go apiya sii ko kayaw o kadaondao
Na da ped a sii sa pikir a rowar ko sindao
O paras ka a da ba niyan datar sa doniya!

Pekhapolid so lo' aken na rengan niyan
So kapephakasinga o poso sa kababaya iyan
Ko kapekhailaya reka o pikir a kabasa niyan:
"Ey, so ranon ko reka na da lomabi ron sa doniya!"



**********

The poem is about a persona's feelings for someone who is far away. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Small Voice from Marawi

People don't know that...

Ramadhan Kareem...

Pamamaalam at Pasasalamat sa Apo...

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals and Me